To be considered for admission to the MCEE, M.S. or Ph.D. programs, prospective students must meet the following minimum requirements:
Students who have a BS or BA degree in any field of Engineering or related study may apply.
- GPA Requirement: 3.0 or higher
- Official GRE General Test Scores: Must be taken within last five years. Please request official GRE scores to be sent to Rice University using Institution Code 6609 and Dept. Code 1102 for Civil Engineering or 1103 for Environmental Engineering. For GRE tests taken prior to August 1, 2011 the department requirement
is a combined score of at least 1100 with at least 450 on the verbal
section. GRE tests taken on or after August 1, 2011 must have a combined score of 301 with at least 150 on the verbal section.
- Official Transcripts: Electronic copies of transcripts from each university and/or College attended, please also mail a transcript to the address provided below.
If an unofficial transcript is received during the admissions process, and you are admitted, a 30 day deadline is given from the date of the offer letter to provide an official transcript. If the current degree has not been conferred, Rice requires a final transcript showing conferral of the degree before registration for the second semester.
- Letters of Recommendation: At least three letters of recommendation. The online application system will require you to enter the name of your reference and email address. The system will send an email to each of your references with a secure link to the online system. This will allow them to submit letters on your behalf electronically.
- Application fee: $85
- International Applicants:
(1) Minimum TOEFL score of 600 for paper based test or
(2) minimum score of 250-for computer based test, or
(3) for Internet-based test (iBT) a minimum score of 90, or
(4) for IELTS test a minimum score of 7.
Please Note: TOEFL scores are not required if you have received a degree from a US university. Please request ETS to report the TOEFL score using Institution Code 6609.
- Please note: All transcripts mailed to us must arrive in sealed envelopes, with signature across the seal.
The application deadline for the Fall 2013 semester in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department is February 1st. Late applications may be considered until May 15. Late admission requests are approved by the graduate committee only under exceptional circumstances. In view of this it is more competitive to apply by the February 1st deadline. Please be sure to read all instructions completely before completing the application on-line.
*Please Note: Candidates who miss the initial deadline place themselves in a less competitive position.
Online Application Process:
- Apply online by visiting the Rice graduate school application form: Apply Here.
- Create an application by clicking on the link “register for an applicant account”.
- Once you have created an account, proceed with the application questions. Please be sure to answer each question.
Types of financial aid offered are mostly research assistantships and fellowships, both of which include a monthly stipend with full tuition waiver. Generally, financial support is awarded to:
- Applicants who meet/exceed the rigorous admission criteria and are at the top of the applicant pool, and
- Applicants who seek to pursue Ph.D. as their highest degree.
Applicants seeking the M.S or M.C.E.E. as their highest degree, if offered admission, are usually offered “admission only”.
Please Note: If you can self support your studies at Rice then full financial details will be required as stipulated by the office of research and graduate studies (OGS), and for international students as stipulated by OGS and by the Office of International Students and Scholars before an I-20 can be issued.
Notification of Status:
Once you have officially submitted your online application, you cannot check your status online. After the admission committee has considered all applications and reached a decision, the CEE office will notify you of your status by either sending a formal letter of admission or a letter declining admission by email and postal mail. You will also be notified if you are selected to receive financial aid. A final status letter will be mailed to all applicants by mid to late April.
If you have questions, you may contact Andrea Torres, Graduate Coordinator, directly at:
Phone: (713) 348-2353
Graduate Applications Committee
Civil & Environmental Engineering
6100 Main St./MS-519
Houston, TX 77005